Friday, March 28, 2008

my buddy


my buddy
Originally uploaded by jwlohr
Hero April 15, 2000 - March 28, 2008

After almost 8 years, my buddy Hero passed away. I went down to the basement as I do every day to take him outside for the day to find him barely hanging on after having been suffering for obviously several hours. I found a wonderful animal hospital in Alton (Pope Animal Hospital) who could see him right away and sadly, the only option we were left with was euthanasia. Sometime during the night, he had suffered a major neurological event and was suffering a great deal. I stayed with him until the very end. Hero was a great friend to me when I was a single guy and adapted well to the addition of a wife and later two children. He was always "up" (sometimes too much;-). But, he enjoyed every day of his life. Just yesterday, he was running and jumping around and barking... Oh, how we will miss that bark.
He was a great dog and we will miss him very much! Joey has already said several times that she loved Hero and misses him... Every night, as I put Joey to bed, she wants me to tell her a "Hero Story" These are stories that I make up as I tell them about a little girl named Joey and her best friend named Hero who go on adventures around the neighborhood rescuing other animals and children in trouble. Tonight, just like all other nights, Joey asked me for a Hero story. So, with tears in my eyes I told her a story about Joey and Hero going on an adventure to save someone's day (a little lost bunny rabbit this time)... She drifted off to sleep with Hero on her mind and in her heart, a place where Hero will remain for all of us as time goes by. Rest in peace my friend!

No comments: