Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A little melancholy... but hopeful too!

Today would have been my mom's 74th birthday and is the second birthday since her death. With all that has transpired with regard to the crumbling of my family of origin, it makes it all the more painful to endure days like this. Unfortunatley support is neither offered nor expected (or frankly even possible) from some of those one would expect to be there to support us through these things. Still... all in all... The truth of mom's relationship with Christ as well as my own makes it bearable. Knowing full well that one day I will see her again gives me great hope. While it is hard to not be able to call her on the phone and talk with her daily as I did throughout my life. I look forward to the day when I will seeing her again and she will not be burdened with the issues of her own failing health and other challenges that she endured in the last several years of her life. My mom was a great woman and I miss her greatly. But, mom's faith has her in a very good place these days and for that I am grateful. In fact, I celebrate the truth that as of the moment of her death on April 21, 2006 she truly began to live more fully and completely than she ever did in this world. Mom received on April 21st 2006 the reward for a life well lived and I am nothing but happy for her in that truth. Much of the time, for my self, I am less than happy with the loss of my mother and the loss of much of my own past. But, I am thrilled with the gifts that God has given me. I do have a wonderful wife and two of the most amazing children in the world. I have one sister who is there for me and I for her just as we were always. And, how many men feel the way I do about their in-laws? I am blessed to have married VERY well. Not with regard to riches or fame... But with regard to faithfulness and integrity that are far more valuable. I have riches untold that are worth far more than money and fame.

Many people will think that I am merely espousing platitudes to keep myself sane and relatively happy in these challenging days. Such is not the case. I believe this in ways that are increasingly important to me as time passes. As a minister of the Gospel, I have shared these truths with people for years... I have believed these truths for years... But, now I am slowly moving beyond belief to a place where these truths inhabit the very core of who I am and it is to that hope which I cling to above any other.

Well, that is probably enough rambking for tonight. I just had to get some of this out of my mind before I try attempting sleep tonight...

To my mother, Bonnie J. Lohr: Happy 2nd Birthday Mom! You did it right, and I love and respect you for it and I will see you again! (Tiger)

No comments: