Thursday, February 21, 2008

Why?

"Why?" That was the title I gave to the funeral sermon that I delivered yesterday. I can't say as I really answered the question, though. The more I am in ministry, the less I understand about so many things in this world. Why indeed!

I travelled back to Taylorville to do a funeral for the 19 year old daughter of some very dear friends of mine. Katie was killed in a tragic car accident with three other teenagers on Friday of last week. They were good solid decent kids. No drugs, no drinking, solid morals and people of faith... and yet, four young lives were lost without warning. The thing is that with their passing the world lost all of the potential for greatness that existed in them as well.

This accident reminds me (and others I hope) of the broken-ness of the world. Satan really does rule this world whether we believe it or not. As we are 2 weeks into the Lenten season, I am reminded of the temptation of Christ and the fact that even our Lord wasn't immune to the temptations and attacks of Satan. So, why then, should I be surprised that Satan would attack others if he would be so brazen as to attack the creator himself?

As I grieve along with others on the loss of potential and the loss of beauty in this accident, I am reminded of just how very much I yearn for the day when Christ returns to set things right. What an amazing thing to anticipate that day when we live daily in the presence of God in a kingdom where sickness and death and broken-ness are a thing of the past... FOR ETERNITY.

Why? I can't answer that... Who? I've got that figured out! But, then, why are there still people in this world who reject or ignore that hope? Seems that my reflections on the things of the faith generate more questions than answers. Furthermore, why is it after years of study, seminary education, and 15 years of pastoral ministry... I'm back to asking one word questions and still don't have an answer? Aw shucks... Why Not?

No comments: