Saturday, August 25, 2007

The end of an era

I am waxing a little philosophical tonight after a long hard day emotionally and physically. Today was the last time I will visit my mom's farm. I went to meet my sister as we did a final clean-up trip to finish off the removal of what items were not alreaday taken by other members of my family. Needless to say there wasn't much left. All of my mother's personal possessions had already been removed by three members of my family and we have no idea where they have been taken. All that was left was a prety good collection of junk that needed to be disposed of so that the new owners of the farm could take possesion of the property. As we were working on the clean-up, we could hear music playing and chainsaws running as the timber that was so dear to my mother was being cleared out to make room for development. We took a final trip around the property and closed the door on that chapter of our lives. It was certainly a sad day for me as I have now left behind a chapter of my life that has been so central for these past 40 years. But, I can feel at some levels a new day beginning to dawn as I can refocus on the new healthy tree that I am nurturing in my own family. I am so very blessed by a wonderful wife and two beautiful children and I thank God daily for them. I look at my daughter and I talk with her and I realize how very special she is to me. Every day, I see her learning new things and I contnue to be in awe of her. My son as well has blesed me so richly as he smiles and coos and grows and changes more and more each day. I feel very much like Job in many ways. Yes, I have lost much in the past year and a half or so, but I have also been so very blessed. I have a family of my own that gives my life more meaning than I could ever have imagined. I have a church family here in Stonington that provides such wonderful care and support to me in my ministry with them and I have a new church in Wood River which is also a blessing to us already and we have not yet begun our official ministry there. God is very good and I realize that truth more and more with the dawn of each new day.

I realize that there will be difficult days ahead as we wrap up the settlement of my mother's estate and deal with the pain that has come from my family of origin. Seperation is never an easy thing. I also realize that there will be some tears shed as we conclude this chapter of our ministry here in Stonington. But, though it all I am reminded of God's providence and how his hand has guided and protected me throughout my life as I am certain he will do in the years to come.

Thank you, Lord, for all that you are doing in my life. As one chapter closes, I trust you for the future and the life and ministry you have yet before me!

No comments: