Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Family of Origin

My oh my, how we can be faced with sudden reminders of the dysfunction from whence we came. My sister from Alabama called me today and then I called my father to try to glean some understanding of just how messed up things are in my family since my mother's death.

I think those conversations ended with more questions than answers. I was reminded by those conversations just how rare a commodity the truth is in the family of my birth. People often create for themselves false constructs of reality in order to justify their feelings or to feel better about the way they have lived their lives and it amazes me just how much they actually believe these lies that they tell themselves.

Of course, we all want to feel better about ourselves than we deserve to feel. But, I never really believed that people would do some of the things this group of people have done in order to justify actions that they have taken. It is appalling and it brings up the pain again for those of us who are trying to stand for truth. Ultimately, I know there is justice (at least in the eternal sense). But, my struggle is with how I can have peace in the interim while I watch people get away with blatant disregard for truth. It proves to me that this world really is under the control of darkness and makes me hunger at the deepest of levels for the day when righteousness and truth finally do prevail. While there is nearly immeasurable pain at times for me in all of this junk... At many levels, it does make me yearn for God's kingdom to come in all of its fullness... I echo the sentiment of the saints down through the ages... Amen, Come Lord Jesus!

No comments: